Sunday, February 28, 2010

love is not rude

Genuine love minds its manners. Here are three guiding principles:

1. Guard the Golden Rule. Treat your spouse the same way you want to be treated (see Luke 6:31)

2. No double standards. Be as considerate to your spouse as you are to friends and strangers.

3. Honor requests. Consider what your spouse already asked you to do or not do. If in doubt, then ask - without attacking or justifying your behavior.

The Love Dare, pp 21, 23

Side note: this applies to our kids, too. I'm sure, like me, you have plenty of teaching opportunities to encourage your kids to be respectful rather than rude. In fact, as I'm typing this I'm telling my kids, "Both of you are being rude. Please think about the people around you and be more respectful."

No comments:

Post a Comment